Read Across America and Dr. Seuss Day is coming Tuesday, March 2, 2021!
We want to keep alive the tradition of inviting volunteers to read to elementary school classrooms. This year's read-alouds will have to be conducted virtually, either pre-recorded or via Zoom. If you would like to read to a classroom, please use *this form* to indicate your preferences and we will match you with a teacher and classroom. The form will collect your email address, your name, and if you have a school or classroom you prefer to read to.
You will also be able to choose to either pre-record your reading session or do a live Zoom session. If you choose to pre-record, the deadline to submit your video is Friday, Feb. 19. Use *this form* to upload your video. Your video will be shared with several classrooms on March 2, 2021. A few tips for recording your video:
- Consider the lighting and move around your room to find the best lighting.
- If using your cell phone, hold the phone horizontally to create a wide-angle effect.
- Use a prop or stand to keep your device steady.
- Speak loudly and clearly.
- Eliminate background noises and find a quiet place in which to record (silence phones, turn off TVs/music, watch out for barking dogs, etc.)
- As a reminder, the deadline to submit videos is Friday, Feb. 19.
If you choose to do a live Zoom session with a classroom, we will pair you up with a teacher who will send you the link for the Zoom session. You can choose your preferred time (between 8 and 10 a.m., or 10 a.m. and noon, or 1 and 3 p.m.) You also can choose your grade level preference (PreK - 2 or 3-5).
Thank you in advance for your willingness to read to school children as we celebrate Read Across America Day!